4.03.2011

Arduino Interactive Art Piece #2

For the final project in my physical computing grad class, I will be creating an interactive, Arduino-controlled art piece.

"Switchboard Operator"
This interactive art piece is a statement on how our methods of communication have changed, and in some cases remained the same, over the years. Using antique components alongside modern-day equipment, the piece is a reflection of how we have now become our own individual switchboard operators - making multiple communication points with multiple devices. Whereas in the past, we looked to others to make connections for us, we now have the ability to make our own connections - both global, instantaneous, and diverse. 

The plan is to use an antique switchboard (the input/interface portion) with an Arduino w/ a wave shield that interfaces with a laptop (the output/display portion). I will be using Processing along with Arduino in order to generate the visuals. Below are the images of the antique switchboard (desktop model) as well an old switchboard toy. Both were purchased on ebay and should hopefully arrive within the week. Most likely I will be primarily using the desktop switchboard and add some pieces from the switchboard toy (e.g., the phone). If I run into any delivery delays, I have a backup plan to construct an antique-looking switchboard myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment